Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Banned Book Week

As many of you know, it is Banned Book Week. The American Library Association has lots of stuff about it on its website. My personal opinion is that banning books is just silly, kind of like protesting movies. Having said that, I rather think we should pay more attention to what is being taught in schools. For example, Illinois District 225 managed to graduate me without ever having assigned To Kill A Mockingbird. I finally read it when I was 30 and Mayor Daley launched One Book One Chicago. My mother wants her tax dollars back. I just want to know what in hell was so important for us to read - in the Honors English program - that we weren't ever assigned To Kill A Mockingbird. Because if it was Candide or Lord of the Flies, I want my tax dollars back, too.

Anyway.

This video was on the ALA's myspace page. I found it cute. And scary. If this entire list of books had been banned when I was a kid, I swear I would be illiterate.

No comments: