Monday, October 6, 2008

On the National Mall

Back in Washington tonight, I headed out after work to make my pilgrimage to the Lincoln Memorial. Walking around the side of the Washington Monument, I am waved away by a cop. He herds me and a few other clueless people off to the sidewalk. I see his little car on the walkway with the lights on. Not terribly unusual. VIP or something is filming. Whatever.

Then I hear a helicopter. Also not unusual. I look up and it is headed right for me. Suddenly it is hovering right over my head and slowly descending off to my right. A second one follows.

I haven't taken a camera with me to Washington in years. But I would have liked to get a shot of those things right over my head. Then I realize that they have actually landed right on the National Mall, between the WWII and Washington Monuments. This is not so much normal.

I keep walking. Crowds have formed. A lady asks if I know what is going on. No clue. Another lady tells her husband that he can keep the kids and watch this circus. She was going to get the car. I see maybe 10 people get off the helicopter and head for some dark SUVs. Um...a new Wil Smith movie?

I kept walking. By the time I reached the Lincoln Memorial, the party had long since broken up. Still don't know what was up.

No comments: