Thursday, October 16, 2008

Continuing Education - Physical Therapy

I mentioned that I was going to physical therapy because my back had been bothering me. I also mentioned that it wasn’t so much that I was in a great deal of pain, as my doctor thought I would benefit from the “educational value”.

How’s this for “educational value”? I just read the Explanation of Benefits from my health insurance company. It costs more to see my physical therapist than it costs to see my actual doctor.

I had to research. These are some excerpts from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

“Physical therapists provide services that help restore function, improve mobility, relieve pain, and prevent or limit permanent physical disabilities of patients suffering from injuries or disease. They restore, maintain, and promote overall fitness and health. Their patients include accident victims and individuals with disabling conditions such as low-back pain, arthritis, heart disease, fractures, head injuries, and cerebral palsy.”

“Median annual earnings of physical therapists were $66,200 in May 2006.”

“Physical therapists need a master’s degree from an accredited physical therapy program and a State license, requiring passing scores on national and State examinations.”

“Employment of physical therapists is expected to grow much faster than average. Job opportunities will be good, especially in acute hospital, rehabilitation, and orthopedic settings.”

Hm. So this is where the jobs are.

For my first couple of appointments, it was probably worth it. The evaluation, the flexibility vs. strength bit. And the understanding that this is not my mother’s disk problem – it is a muscular issue and I own it. But the last couple of sessions have just been giving me new exercises – which I am pretty sure I can find on the Internet if I am so inclined. I cancelled my last scheduled appointment.

No comments: