Friday, October 24, 2008

Online Community Fatigue

The other day, my mother sent me an e-mail asking if I was a member of Shelfari. I'd never heard of it. Apparently, it is another place to log in and share your library. I told her I am on Librarything. And if I wasn't there, I'd be on goodreads, because that is where the cool kids are. I'm just too lazy to log it all in again.

I just received an e-mail from Barnes and Noble. They have launched a community and since I am such a good customer, they want me to join. So I went in and looked - I already have an account. Picked my "pen name". Grabbed an avatar.

They want me to build my library - including CDs and DVDs.

I had to create an account on typepad the other day just to comment on someone's blog. I am really tired of creating profiles. Has anyone coined a term for that yet?

1 comment:

Rachel Burton said...

I hear you. Choosing an avatar, writing a profile, jotting down interests, emails, webpages, etc. Not to mention keeping all usernames and passwords straight! The worst is email from Kodak Gallery asking you to create an account to look at someone's pictures; I think I have eight accounts with them since I never remember my info from the time before.