Friday, May 28, 2010

30 Day TV Meme - Day 11

 Day 11 - A show that disappointed you


This didn't take too long to figure out: V.
 
Remember the mini-series from the 1980's?  Marc Singer, Michael "Jester" Ironside, Robert Englund...that was good TV.  The V books actually became a bit of a franchise in that the mini-series focused on the struggles of the resistance movement in Los Angeles and the books covered the adventures in many cities.
 
It was so popular that they launched a regular series.  Lasted one season.  When these DVDs came out, I was all over it.  For perhaps half an episode.  In my head, it was pretty good until Elias died and Ham Tyler (Ironside) left.  It was actually terrible. 
 
Oh, how terrible.  I had a bad case of what I now know to be called "Red Dawn Syndrome" - when the thing was soooooo cool when you were a kid, but when you watch it as an adult you can't take it.
 
Subsequent to this horrible experience, rumors flew that Ken Johnson, the creator, was trying to reboot the franchise.  Rumors further flew that the actors were on board.   Apparently, Johnson had something entirely different in mind in 1984 when the network took over his work.  He published a book that was set 20 years in the future, declaring that only the first part of the mini-series was canon.  So Ham Tyler did not exist.  Um.  That sucks.  But I read it.  It was ok.
 
I was incredibly excited when it came back to the air..until I understood that absolutely nothing was the same.  And even my sci-fi geek friends had mixed reviews.  Another disappointment.
 
I guess some things should be kept locked away in our little childhood memories and never approached again.

No comments: