Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara - Take 2

Book 19

My friends have a book club.  Books are chosen by a random pick among member suggestions.  At the end of a meeting, a call for submissions is made - they are written on notecards.  We separate fiction and non-fiction, as we alternate the two.  Then someone randomly selects a card.  I wasn't much participating while I was in school, but came back earlier this year:

So at the last meeting (Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell was the pick that day), I threw in a card recommending The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara.  I had read it last December and thought that it wouldn't get picked for another couple of years, at which point it would be a great opportunity to re-read a great book.

I got up to go to the bathroom and it was picked.

My impressions weren't much different the second ti.me around.  A whole five months later.  So here is a link to what I wrote at the time.


P.S.

Although.  There was an interesting thread of observations at Book Club that I hadn't realliy considered before.  I had noted that The Ghost of Stonewall Jackson was so present as to almost be another character.  My friend Shannon said the same was true about General Lee's declining health.  The illness (or threat thereof) was continually present.  Which lead to my friend Eric saying that throughout the story, Lee seemed to be making decisions with those two "voices" in his ears.

No comments: