Saturday, May 29, 2010

Airfare

I thought I noticed the cost of airfare climbing, but I had written it off as my business travel being on rather short notice lately. Turns out, this summer's travel is shaping up to be rather expensive. 24% more expensive, t be exact. An AP article noted:

"In raising fares, the airlines are employing a tactic first used for Thanksgiving travel last year. Most of the big carriers added $10 to $30 'peak travel' surcharges each way on nearly every day between June 10 and Aug. 22, according to an analysis by FareCompare.com."


I didn't have too big a problem with the surcharge over the holiday weekend. I don't even think of it as a "surcharge", because in the end it is simply a part of the regular fare. Supply and demand says that on days when everyone and his dog is trying to travel, it should cost more. Not like the extra dollar I pay to take a cab just because the price of a gallon of gas goes above $3.

But an extra $10 to $30 "on nearly every day" all summer? If the cost of a ticket is going up, then it is going up. I just wish the airlines would stop looking for new ways to hide it. I find it insulting.

1 comment:

Air ticket said...

Thats a good blog keep it up.