Saturday, May 22, 2010

Student Microloans

I was watching that episode of Community that utter_scoundrel recommended on hulu.com and saw a commercial for vittana.org.   It said that a young woman in Peru could pursue her dream with a college education if she had the $700 for tuition.  I looked it up and found an article from 2009 in the New York Times:

"It uses a model similar to that of Kiva.org, a nonprofit organization that funnels loans to individual borrowers through microfinance institutions. The method is to solicit individual lenders for money that will back loans to young adults seeking college educations."

So I went to Vittana's website.  And while the organization's partners are a bit more faith-based than the groups that I generally support, they seem to have their act together.  I can contribute to that.

P.S.  Community was pretty funny.  But that Chevy Chase character...

No comments: