Friday, May 28, 2010

Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern

Book 21

Justin Halpern is a writer for Maxim.com who moved home after a break up.  He starting quoting his dad in his Twitter updates and became so popular, he got a book deal.  And a sitcom pilot, actually.

Each chapter is broken up into a Dad Story from his youth, followed by some of the quotes that made him famous.  I'd find one for you, but they are all filled with four letter words and my mother reads this blog.  Oh, wait.  Here's one:

"Your mother made a batch of meatballs last night.  Some are for you and some are for me, but more are for me.  Remember that.  More.  Me."

OK, the swear words make it funnier.

Halpern does a really good job with mixing up the "my dad is such a character" with the illustrations that people in general (and fathers and sons in particular) show affection in different ways.  It was a good read.

No comments: