Monday, May 31, 2010

30 Day TV Meme - Day 14

Day 14 - Favorite male character

To pick someone new, I'm going with Gregory House.

Dr. House is a terrific anti-hero.  Besides the typical brilliant, cranky, abrasive, etc.,  he is also addicted to painkillers.  He is the head of the diagnostic department of a teaching hospital, where he is sent the cases that the mere mortal doctors can't figure out.  He is such a rock star that he picks and chooses the cases he wants to take, has a team of fellows do all the leg work for him, and has a budget for all of the lawsuits filed against him.  His motto is "Everybody lies."  Oh, and, "It's never lupus."

House was meant to be a modern day Sherlock Holmes.  From the Unbelievable Powers of Observation to the drug use to the amiable sidekick played by Robert Sean Leonard.  But while Holmes is sometimes kind of an ass, House actually has a mean streak.  I find it really funny to watch, but I'm not sure I'd want to know him in real life.

And that, my friends, makes for good TV.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

House is a fantastic character. Good choice!

Anne said...

Yeah - but how did I manage to forget Remington Steele?

Fluffycat said...

I agree with you here. Definitely fun to watch but I'd hate to be one of the patients or fellow doctors.

utter scoundrel said...

Omar Williams from The Wire